Skip to main content

Help if you're homeless or at risk of being homeless​

Advice and support for people experiencing homelessness

Crisis can offer you support to find housing, employment, develop new skills, and more.

Find your nearest centre

We deliver services from 9 Skylight centres across Great Britain. Find your nearest Skylight centre: 

How Crisis can help you

We welcome everyone who comes to us for help. Sometimes another service can provide the support you need, and we will refer you to them if so. Our focus is on supporting people who struggle to or cannot access support elsewhere.

One of our friendly experts will spend time with you to work out what you need. If being supported by Crisis is the best option for you, we could help you with:

"With the help of Crisis, my 14 year old daughter and I can start a new life." Patrice, Crisis member


Help from other organisations

If you can't find a Crisis Skylight centre near you, or you need help with emergency accommodation, take a look below for links to other organisations who may be able to help.


If you need a hostel or shelter now, the housing charity Shelter offers a broad range of advice and guidance. The Pavement magazine also has a list of night shelters on its services page.


The charity Shelter helps people struggling with bad housing or homelessness through free advice, support and legal services.   

They also have a lot of housing-related information on their website offering practical advice on homelessness, housing benefit, council housing, private renting and much more.  

They can also be called for free on 0808 800 4444.  

If you or someone you know needs support and advice on wellbeing matters, legal rights, money, domestic violence, benefits or youth homelessness, these organisations can help. Visit their websites or give them a call:  

Legal advice

Health & wellbeing

Financial advice

Domestic abuse

Find people

Young People (aged 16-25)

LGQBT (aged 16-25)

Use this database to find projects and organisations that help people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to find rented accommodation.

There are registered vet practices and charities across England, Wales and Scotland that provide free food and care (medical essentials, bedding, collars, toys and advice) to people who live on the streets with their dogs. They include:

If you’re homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, your local council is likely to have a duty to help you stay in your home or find accommodation.  

They may also have a duty to house you depending on your circumstances, such as if you have children who depend on you. They have to provide you with advice on your housing situation and alternative housing options.

Find out more about a council’s duty below.

If you (or someone else) are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police or an ambulance.

If you or someone you know is sleeping rough in England, Wales or Scotland, around the Glasgow area, these local services offer help:

Across Great Britain on any given day of the week, a number of organisations and volunteers provide free meals - hot breakfasts, lunches and dinners as well as soups, sandwiches and drinks - from various day centres, mobile kitchens and other venues.